Monday, January 28, 2008

Honouring Our Chaplains

Honouring Our Chaplains


Last night I had the pleasure of attending a dinner in honour of the Toronto Police Service's Chaplains.

I was the first Board member to ever attend this very important function, which plays tribute to the people who care for the spiritual wellbeing of the members of the Toronto Police Service.

The Board strongly supports the work of the chaplains and all members of the TPS for that matter. In my speaking notes (see below), I expressed the Board’s continued respect for our members.

Here are my remarks from last night.



Remarks at Dinner with the Chaplains
January 27, 2008


Thank you, Rev. Kelly, and Good evening!

Chief Blair, Rev. Kelly, gathered Chaplains, members of the Toronto Police Service and guests,

It gives me and my wife, Arun, great pleasure to be able to share an evening and a meal with you.

I am delighted to convey to you greetings and best wishes on behalf of the Toronto Police Services Board.

As my good friend Rev. Kelly knows well, the support that you provide to the men and woman of the Toronto Police Service is of great importance to me. They have a difficult job to do in keeping the residents of this city safe. It is not a pretty or pleasant job at all times, even though the result of what they do makes a great difference in the lives of so many. In doing what they have to do, members of this Service experience great stress, encounter numerous instances of violence, inhumanity and cruelty, and endure sights and situations that would leave the toughest among us shaken.

These can take a toll not only physically, but also emotionally, psychically and spiritually. And there are times, when the burden falls on their families as well. It is exceedingly important that they are helped to restore and to maintain balance in their lives.

You, chaplains, are among those in our Service who are responsible for ensuring that these men and women receive the help and the support that they need. I have no doubt that they appreciate what you do and are immensely grateful for it. I know I am!

As you know, under the leadership of Chief Blair and the Board, this Service has made major progress in ensuring that it reflects the communities that make up this wonderful city. This means that our employees now come from all the major faiths of the world.

I believe we have benefited from our diversity. It helps us provide culturally competent and appropriate services. But this diversity also poses a challenge for us, as it does for you. We are now called upon to ensure that, to the extent we can, we must take into account the religious, cultural, linguistic and other parts of their backgrounds in developing and delivering our services to them.

I know Rev. Kelly is fully cognizant of this challenge and has been working hard to respond to it. For that, and for enabling him to meet this challenge, I thank you.

We find ourselves living in the midst of a time when it appears that too many people – and too many young people who are just starting out in their lives – are lacking a moral, ethical and spiritual compass. It is, I believe, of the utmost urgency that those who come into contact with and have to deal with such people themselves have a solid moral, ethical and spiritual foundation in their lives. Only then they can do their jobs well and effectively.

You help them maintain – and, sometimes, find – that foundation. For that, too, I thank you.

In closing, I wish you a wonderful year marked by good health, peace and happiness.

Thank you.